pedestrian struck by car
PORT CHARLOTTE — A 12-year-old boy was struck by a car on U.S. 41 after running across the northbound lanes near Conway Boulevard around 7 p.m. on Saturday.
Taylor Andrew Welbourne, 12, was in critical condition after he and another pedestrian ran out in front of a Honda Civic traveling in the outside lane, according to a Florida Highway Patrol report.
The driver, Robert Lee Whetsel, 29, of North Port, swerved left to try to avoid hitting Taylor’s companion, then slammed on his brakes so he wouldn’t collide with Taylor, but could not stop in time, the report stated. He hit the boy’s right side with such impact that Taylor ended up on the hood of the car, colliding with the right side of the windshield, then rolling into the center lane of traffic.
Taylor was airlifted to Tampa General Hospital, where he was in the intensive care unit Sunday.
According to Taylor’s Facebook page, he is a student at Port Charlotte Middle School.
The Charlotte County Sheriff’s Office reported the following arrests:
• Michael Ryan Goodman, 34, 1900 block of Michigan. Charge: loitering or prowling. Bond: $500.
• Adam Joshua Seymour, 27, 2700 block of Auburn Blvd., Port Charlotte. Charge: DUI. Bond: $750.
• Neil Richard Kroll, 24, 21400 block of Mallory Ave., Port Charlotte. Charge: robbery without firearm. Bond: none.
• Antonio Sharod Henry, 28, of Rivera Beach, Fla. Charges: fleeing or eluding officer when lights or siren was active, first offense of driving with suspended license, resisting officer without violence and violation of probation. Bond: none.
• Orestes Chacon Lopez, 30, 500 block of Hialeah, Fla. Charge: grand theft more than $300 but less than $5,000. Bond: $2,500.
• Timothy William Davis, 19, of Lakewood Ranch, Fla. Charges: unarmed burglary and grand theft more than $300 but less than $5,000. Bond: $7,500.
• Gerald Edgar Felix Robert, 67, 4400 block of Larkspur Court, Port Charlotte. Charge: battery. Bond: none.
• Lynn Malone Ayers, 51, 4100 block of Harbor Blvd., Port Charlotte. Charge: cruelty toward child without great harm. Bond: none.
• Anjelica Helena Peet, 23, 300 block of Allworthy Street, Port Charlotte. Charge: DUI. Bond: $750.
• Virginia Kay Sandusky, 53, 600 block of Aqui Esta Drive, Punta Gorda. Charge: DUI. Bond: $750.
• Joshua Joseph Wiolland, 30, 5800 block of Palangos Drive, Punta Gorda. Charge: violation of probation (original charge: knowingly driving with suspended license). Bond: $1,000.
• Kristy Lynn Farnsworth, 32, 1100 block of Fergus Lane, Punta Gorda. Charge: battery. Bond: $1,500.
—Compiled by Merab-Michal Favorite