New Year’s questions and answers
I ‘celebrated’ a little too much last night. Any hangover help?
Sleep, if you can. Drink lots of orange juice and water. Avoid caffeine. Eat some protein-rich food, even if the idea doesn’t sound so great.
Don’t “hair of the dog” it. Trust us.
Need helping making New Year’s resolutions? Here are the most common ones:
• Drink less alcohol
• Eat healthy food
• Get a better education
• Get a better job
• Get fit
• Lose weight
• Manage debt
• Manage stress
• Quit smoking
• Reduce, reuse, and recycle
• Save money
• Take a trip
• Volunteer to help others
I love a parade! Is there one on today?
Only one of the most famous parades!
The 124th Rose Parade starts at 11 a.m. This year’s theme is Dr. Seuss’ “Oh, the Places You’ll Go.”
Rose Parade facts:
• Grand Marshal: Dr. Jane Goodall
• Channel: The parade is on both ABC and NBC. Coverage begins at 11 a.m. on ABC and at 11:30 a.m. on NBC.
• The parade includes 21 equestrian units, 23 bands and 42 floats over 5.5 miles.
• The cost of building a high-quality float begins at $250,000.
• About 39 million Americans watched the parade last year.
• There is one band representing Florida so keep an eye out for the Seminole High School Warhawk Marching Band.
What bowl games are on today?
• Taxslayer.com Gator Bowl: Mississippi State versus No. 20 ranked Northwestern at noon on ESPN2.
• Heart of Dallas Bowl: Purdue versus Oklahoma State at noon on ESPNU.
• Outback Bowl: No. 10 South Carolina versus No. 18 Michigan at 1 p.m. on ESPN.
• Capital One Bowl: No. 7 Georgia versus No. 16 Nebraska at 1 p.m. on ABC.
• Rose Bowl: Wisconsin versus No. 6 Stanford at 5 p.m. on ESPN.
• Discover Orange Bowl: No. 15 Northern Illinois versus No. 12 Florida State at 8:30 p.m. on ESPN.
Any NHL games yet?
Nope, but consider checking out the 2012 Kelly Cup Champions Florida Everblades who play at Germain Arena in Estero. Their next home game is 7:30 p.m. Jan. 9 against the Toledo Walleye.
So what’s the deal with the Black Eyed Peas?
Fergie is supposedly working on a second solo album, but aside from that, I don’t know … what? You meant the food!
Eating black eyed peas on New Year’s Day is good luck.
Other good luck foods, according to Epicurious, include: grapes, cooked greens, legumes, pork, fish and cakes.
Do not eat chicken, because they scratch backwards. Do not eat lobster either, because they move backwards. Eating those could bring setbacks in the new year.
How is the weather?
It should be sunny with highs in the upper 70s, but there could be some patchy fog in the morning today and Wednesday.