Couple arrested on drug, child neglect charges
PORT CHARLOTTE — A couple were arrested Saturday on drug and child neglect charges after authorities allegedly found narcotics within easy reach of their 5-year-old son inside their home, according to the Charlotte County Sheriff’s Office.
Phillipe James Laurent, 30, and Amanda Leigh Ray, 23, both of the 3300 block of Harbor Blvd., Port Charlotte, were charged with cultivation of marijuana, possession of cocaine, possession of heroin, possession of methamphetamine, possession of more than 20 grams of marijuana, possession of narcotics paraphernalia and child neglect in connection with the incident.
According to a report, authorities responded to a domestic dispute at the home when they allegedly saw a potted marijuana plant and burnt marijuana cigarettes in plain view in the living room.
After the couple gave authorities consent to search the home, they found narcotics, including methamphetamine, marijuana and cocaine in various locations throughout the house. The report states authorities also allegedly found four burnt marijuana cigarettes mixed with the child’s candy and toys in the child’s room.
Both Laurent and Ray were arrested and transported to the Charlotte County Jail, where they were released on $16,000 bond each on Sunday. The Department of Children and Families took the child from the home and eventually released him to the custody of the grandparents, according to the report.
Report: Homeless man throws flower pot through window
PORT CHARLOTTE — A homeless man was arrested Saturday for allegedly throwing a flower pot through the window of a wheelchair-bound man’s home, according to the Charlotte County Sheriff’s Office.
Stephan Leslie Flinders, 56, was charged with throwing a deadly missile into a dwelling and battery in connection with the incident.
According to a report, a witness alerted authorities when they allegedly saw Flinders yelling into a house in the 2200 block of Hayworth Road and then break a window with a flower pot before fleeing on a bicycle.
The victim, a 41-year-old man in a wheelchair, was not struck by the pot but he did suffer minor cuts from broken glass. The victim told authorities that Flinders was demanding disability checks belonging to the victim’s girlfriend, although the victim did not have any such checks, the report states.
Flinders was apprehended a short time later and arrested. He remains in the Charlotte County Jail on $12,000 bond.
Four charged with indecent exposure at Caspersen
VENICE — The Sarasota County Sheriff’s Office made four arrests for indecent exposure while working undercover Friday afternoon at Caspersen Beach Park in Venice.
In four separate incidents, according to an SCSO release, Glenn Orthaus, 48, of San Antonio, Texas; John Leland Clark, 46, of the 3200 block of Ocala Road, Venice; David Hoffa, 74, of the 100 block of Broadway St., Englewood; and Daniel Sukel, 80, of the 100 block of Woodbridge Drive, Venice, all approached undercover detectives as they walked through the park and exposed themselves in an attempt to engage in sexual activity.
Undercover detectives conducted the operation in response to complaints about indecent activity at the public park.
Sukel was charged with indecent exposure in public. Clark, Hoffa and Orthaus were all charged with exposure of sexual organs. Both charges are misdemeanors.
All four men posted $500 bond and were released from the Sarasota County Jail.
Help identify a man who stole from Sam’s Club
PORT CHARLOTTE — Authorities are asking the public to help them identify a man they say stole electronic items on multiple occasions from Sam’s Club in July and August, according to the Charlotte County Sheriff’s Office.
According to a report, on July 22 and 23, the man, believed to be in his 50s or 60s, allegedly stole two digital cameras. He was wearing a peach-colored, short-sleeve fishing-style shirt, grey shorts and flip flops, the report states. He was accompanied by a younger white male with dark facial hair, wearing a black T-shirt, black shorts and black ball cap. On July 22, the pair drove off in a gold or tan Ford Explorer. On July 23, they left in an older tan or white four-door car similar to a Chevrolet Caprice.
The report states the man returned to the store on Aug. 19 and stole two more cameras. Video surveillance footage from the store on Oct. 8, 2011 allegedly shows the same man stealing DVDs, according to the report.
Anyone with information is asked to contact CCSO Detective Chris Tissot at 941-639-2101, or call Crime Stoppers at 800-780-TIPS (8477).
The Charlotte County Sheriff’s Office reported the following arrests:
• Joaquin Flores, 44, 29400 block of S. Jones Loop Road, Punta Gorda. Charge: battery. Bond: none.
• Steven Todd Pruitt, 32, 3400 block of Como St., Port Charlotte. Charge: DUI. Bond: released on own recognizance.
• Anna Sue Keen, 50, 2000 block of Broad Ranch Drive, Port Charlotte. Charges: battery and resisting arrest. Bond: none.
• Alexander Anatoly Filev, 49, 9100 block of Willmington Blvd., Englewood. Charge: DUI. Bond: $750.
• Preston Landez Sesler, 31, Cape Coral. Charges: possession of a controlled substance, knowingly driving with a suspended license and violation of probation. Bond: none.
• Justin Gregory Rawls, 23, Bowling Green, Fla. Charge: DUI. Bond: $2,000.
• Brian Alan Norton, 37, 3000 block of Myrtle Place, Punta Gorda. Charges: possession of a controlled substance and possession of narcotic equipment. Bond: $3,500.
• Cody Allen Stevenson 17, 300 block of Lambert St., Port Charlotte. Charges: petty theft and burglary of an unoccupied dwelling. Bond: released into parental custody.
The Punta Gorda Police Department reported the following arrest:
• Thomas Edward Blackman, 61, Gulfbreeze Ave., Punta Gorda. Charges: battery and resisting arrest. Bond: none.
The North Port Police Department reported the following arrests:
• Khiree K. Price, 23, of Orlando. Charges: passing a counterfeited bill, check, note or draft, fraud and theft. Bond: $25,000.
• James Paul Reese, 42, 1200 block of W. Taggard Road, North Port. Charge: violation of conditional release. Bond: none.
• Jose Luiz Estrada Lopez, 33, 8100 block of Trionfo Blvd., North Port. Charge: driving while license is suspended or revoked with knowledge. Bond: $120.
• Justin Pifer, 28, 3600 block of Needle Terrace, North Port. Charge: DUI. Bond: $500.
• Casey Lynn Ross, 25, 7000 block of Felicia St., Port. Charlotte. Charge: driving while license is suspended-third or subsequent offense. Bond: $1,500.
• Erik Michael Walker, 31, 7100 block of Felicia St., Port. Charlotte. Charges: possession of a controlled substance without a prescription, possession of marijuana and three counts of possession and/or use of narcotic equipment. Bond: $1,480.
• Taj Hayden Carvell, 32, 5700 block of Garafola Ave., North Port. Charge: battery. Bond: none.
The Sarasota County Sheriff’s Office reported the following arrests:
• Joshua Therion Hukill, 23, 3100 block of Perugia St., North Port. Charge: violation of probation (original charges: grand theft and forgery). Bond: none.
• Andrea Sue Waggoner, 29, 300 block of Base Ave., Venice. Charges: two counts of violation of probation (original charges: driving while license is suspended and resisting an officer). Bond: none.
• Jason G. Heath, 25, 1000 block of Nantucket Road, Venice. Charge: burglary. Bond: $50,000.
• Raymond Lee Male, 39, 100 block of Lakeview Lane, Englewood. Charge: Flagler County, Fla., warrant (original charges: contempt and failure to appear for violation of probation for battery). Bond: $4,000.
• Stanislav A. Mironenko, 21, 400 block of Ponderosa Road, Venice. Charge: battery. Bond: $750.
• Steven Wayne Scates, 36, 3100 block of Lobelia Road, Venice. Charges: DUI, violation of Florida driver’s license restrictions and operating a motorcycle without a license. Bond: $870.
• James Taylor Young, 38, 5600 block of Espanola Drive, North Port. Charge: DUI. Bond: $500.
• Owen Gregory Dean, 37, 4300 block of Tarpon Road, Venice. Charges: petty theft and resisting an officer. Bond: $870.
• Bryan Bracetty, 45, 5500 block of Varet Road, Venice. Charge: battery. Bond: $25,000.
• Sarah Mariah Moore, 33, 1700 block of Palm Drive, Venice. Charges: trespassing and disorderly intoxication. Bond: $620.
• Wilson A. Ramirez Acosta, 30, 200 block of N. U.S. 41 Bypass, Venice. Charge: possession of a controlled substance without a prescription. Bond: $1,000.
• Todd Douglas Johnson, 45, 1300 block of Mango Ave., Venice. Charge: battery. Bond: $750.
— Compiled by Drew Winchester and Anne Klockenkemper