Report: Man charged with sexual assault on teen
PORT CHARLOTTE — Authorities arrested a 35-year-old man Monday after he allegedly had sex with a 17-year-old girl who was passed out in his bed after a night of drinking, according to the Charlotte County Sheriff’s Office.
Leonard Allan Standley, 35, of the 300 block of Duxbury Ave., Port Charlotte, is charged with sexual assault on a victim 16 to 17 years of age in connection with the incident.
According to a report, the victim passed out in Standley’s bed after drinking alcohol and when she woke up she was naked from the waist down. Standley admitted to authorities to having sex with the girl, the report states, but said it was consensual. The report states that Standley knew the girl was only 17 when he had sex with her.
Standley was arrested and transported to the Charlotte County Jail, where he remain on $15,000 bond. At the jail it was also learned that Standley had an active warrant from April 19 for a failure to appear on a charge of failing to maintain vehicle insurance, the report states.
DNA ties man to Walmart theft
DEEP CREEK — A DNA sample led to the arrest of a Port Charlotte man on Monday accused of smashing a glass case at the Walmart on Kings Highway and stealing 33 rings, according to the Charlotte County Sheriff’s Office.
Tyler Ray Kerry, 20, of the 100 block of Palmetto Circle, was charged with grand theft in connection with the incident.
According to a report, Kerry allegedly broke the jewelry case at Walmart using a hammer on May 29, removing a display case that contained 33 rings before fleeing the store. Kerry was pursued by store employees but escaped after climbing a parking lot fence, the report states.
Authorities were able to recover 24 of the rings that same night, the report states, and eight more rings from Gulf Coast Metals in Port Charlotte, where Kerry allegedly pawned them.
Detectives were able to match Kerry to the Walmart theft by using blood samples found at the scene, according to the report.
Kerry has been in the Charlotte County jail since June 24 on an unrelated charge in connection with a June 20 stabbing on Palmetto Drive near his home.
Kerry remains in jail without bond.
Two local men charged in North Port robbery
PORT CHARLOTTE — Two Port Charlotte men allegedly involved in a North Port armed robbery were arrested Monday near Midway Boulevard, according to the Charlotte County Sheriff’s Office.
Kareem Lamar James, 30, of the 1100 block of Duxbury Ave.; and Jaime Omar Sepulveda, 33, of the 22300 block of Nyack Ave., were both charged with robbery with a firearm, grand theft and grand theft of a controlled substance in connection with the incident.
According to a report, Sepulveda and James allegedly used a hand gun to rob the victim at his residence in the 5000 block of Alseir Road, North Port, taking his prescription medication and $500 of his money.
North Port authorities put out a “be on the lookout” alert for the car driven by James, and a Charlotte County Sheriff’s deputy spotted the vehicle at the Sunoco gas station in the 2400 block of Tamiami Trail the same day.
James and Sepulveda were both taken into custody at the gas station, and they remain at the Charlotte County Jail without bond, pending their transfer back to Sarasota County to face the North Port Police Department charges.
The Charlotte County Sheriff’s Office reported the following arrests:
• Vincenzio James Capizzano Jr., 30, Sunrise, Fla. Charges: knowingly driving with a suspended license and hit and run involving an unattended vehicle. Bond: $1,000.
• Deborah Leigh Hemminger, 21, 17400 block of Mark Ave., Port Charlotte. Charge: grand theft and violation of probation (original charge: uttering a worthless check). Bond: $3,250.
• Eduardo Vasconcelos, 24, 2000 block of Kadar St., Port Charlotte. Charge: battery. Bond: none.
• Trenton Michael Warren, 24, Floral Lane, Port Charlotte. Charge: violation of probation (original charge: operating a motor vehicle without a valid driver’s license). Bond: $550.
• Donna Lee Hagopian, 54, Lyman, S.C. Charge: disorderly intoxication. Bond: $500.
• Nathaniel Lee Gaura, 23, 500 block of Orlando Blvd., Port Charlotte. Charge: violation of probation (original charges: grand theft and three counts of fraudulent use of a credit card). Bond: none.
• Christopher Dale Monroe, 33, 2100 block of Glendale Ave., Port Charlotte. Charge: contempt of court. Bond: none.
• Brittany Lee Thompson, 21, 4400 block of Conway Blvd., Port Charlotte. Charge: DUI. Bond: none.
— Compiled by Drew Winchester