Englewood man hurt
in rollover wreck
VENICE — A 53-year-old Englewood man was hospitalized after his car hit a tree and flipped over late Saturday night.
According to a Florida Highway patrol report, Scott D. Jury was driving a 1994 Pontiac Firebird south on the U.S. 41 Bypass in the left lane, north of Center Road in Venice. As the Pontiac entered the intersection, Jury lost control of the car, the report shows. The vehicle careened southeast and entered the median of the Bypass south of the intersection. The Pontiac struck a tree in the median, then overturned onto its roof, landing in the northbound left-turn lanes of the Bypass.
Jury was taken to Blake Medical Center in Bradenton with serious injuries. He had been wearing a seat belt, and alcohol was not a factor in the crash, the report shows.
The Charlotte County Sheriff’s Office reported the following arrests:
• Calvin Eugene Jackson II, 21, 1400 block of Mineo Dr., Punta Gorda. Charges: battery and resisting officer without violence. Bond: none.
• Randall Scott Miller, 24, 25300 block of Sandhill Blvd., Punta Gorda. Charges: unarmed burglary, illegal use of credit cards and petty theft $100 to $300. Bond: $2,500.
• Robert Leroy Whyte III, 61, 3300 block of Douglas Road, Port Charlotte. Charge: open container. Bond: $250.
• Diana Mary Vryhoff, 54, 21800 block of Edgewater Drive, Port Charlotte. Charges: resisting officer without violence, disorderly intoxication in a public place and open container. Bond: $1,750.
• Gregory Lee Lucas, 66, 2000 block of Gaspar Road, Placida. Charge: habitually driving with a suspended license. Bond: $2,500.
— Compiled by
Lorraine Schneeberger and