Report: Fake FBI email is computer virus
PUNTA GORDA — The Charlotte County Sheriff’s Office is warning people about a computer virus that is infecting computers and scaring users into believing the FBI has taken control of their computer because they have done something illegal on the Internet.
According to a report, the virus is being called the FBI Moneypack Virus, or a ransomware virus that’s leading people to believe control of their computer can be returned if they pay $200. Crimes listed in the email range from viewing and downloading child pornography to downloading music illegally.
The CCSO said this is not a legitimate message and are advising everyone not to open the message, should they receive it. The message should be deleted immediately, the report adds.
The Charlotte County Sheriff’s Office reported the following arrests:
• Jill Paige Avery, 22, 2900 block of Robin Lane, Zolfo Springs, Fla. Charges: two counts of violation of probation (original charges: three counts of possession of a controlled substance, possession of marijuana, possession of drug paraphernalia and resisting arrest). Bond: none.
• Crystal Smiley, 30, 1200 block of Slash Pine Circle, Punta Gorda. Charge: operating a motor vehicle without a valid license. Bond: $500.
• Ela Celia Valdivia, 38, 3100 block of Buttonwood Place, Punta Gorda. Charge: battery. Bond: none.
• Michael Hamm, 41, 21500 block of Holdern Ave., Port Charlotte. Charge: parole violation (original charge: displaying a canceled or revoked driver’s license). Bond: none.
• Joseph Kenneth Pearson, 27, 2200 block of Felton Ave., Port Charlotte. Charge: knowingly driving with a suspended license. Bond: $500.
• Daniel Alan Black, 27, 18400 block of Temple Ave., Port Charlotte. Charge: violation of probation (original charges: burglary, petty theft and possession of burglary tools). Bond: none.
• Gordon Paul Ayotte, 50, 1400 block of Pulaski St., Port Charlotte. Charge: violation of probation (original charge: driving with a suspended license). Bond: $700.
• Robert James Bracke, 34, 18300 block of Inwood Ave., Port Charlotte. Charges: possession of cocaine and possession of narcotic equipment. Bond: $3,500.
• Cayden Grey Ranney, 18, 1100 block of Salina Ave., Port Charlotte. Charge: violation of probation. Bond: released on own recognizance.
• Jason Manley Rieman, 45, 23400 block of Harborview Road, Port Charlotte. Charges: possession of a controlled substance without a prescription and failure to register a motor vehicle. Bond: $3,000.
• Bruce Walter Kohler, 52, Orlando. Charges: failure to appear, DUI and driving with a suspended license. Bond: $15,000.
• Richard James Campagna, 34, 23000 block of Bradford Ave., Port Charlotte. Charges: disorderly intoxication, battery on an officer, firefighter or EMT and four counts of threatening a public servant. Bond: none.
The Punta Gorda Police Department reported the following arrest:
• Derek Stephen Trudeau, 28, 600 block of W. Virginia Ave., Punta Gorda. Charge: resisting arrest. Bond: $1,000.
— Compiled by Drew Winchester