North Port man’s standoff with police ends in arrest
NORTH PORT — A Sarasota County man was arrested Saturday morning after he barricaded himself in a home telling police he wasn’t coming out of the Natchez Court home.
The standoff ended shortly after James Dean Bradley, 36, surrendered.
He was booked into the Sarasota County Jail on a domestic battery charge.
According to a police report, officers were dispatched to the 7100 block of Natchez Court at about 5 a.m. in response to a family dispute call.
Bradley allegedly hit a woman known to him and threatened “suicide by cop,” authorities said.
When officers arrived, everyone in the home was out but Bradley and his son. Investigators spoke to Bradley over the phone, asking him to peacefully surrender. He did and the young boy was taken to his mother.
Bradley is on probation for a prior conviction on a child neglect charge.
He is being held without bond pending his first appearance before a judge.
Two injured in motorcycle crash
Two people were seriously injured Saturday when their motorcycle crashed in DeSoto County, according to the Florida Highway Patrol.
Jon Leonard Baker, 41, of Punta Gorda, was riding a 2005 Harley-Davidson on Peace River Street when he lost control of the vehicle, which overturned on the shoulder, injuring Baker and his passenger, 49-year-old Nancy Anderson of Cape Coral, according to a report.
Baker was taken to Tampa General Hospital, and Anderson was taken to Fawcett Memorial Hospital. Baker was cited for careless driving.
The Charlotte County Sheriff’s Department reported the following arrests:
• Olivia Noemi Leal, 21, Guntersville, Ala. Charge: battery. Bond: $1,000.
• Joseph Ernest Trott, 46, 17300 block of Sabrina Circle, Port Charlotte. Charge: battery. Bond:$1500.
• Derek Albert Shaffer, 29, Tallahassee. Charges: disorderly intoxication in a public place, resisting officer without violence and threaten a public servant or family member. Bond: $4,000.
• George Kevin Barone, 50, 2500 block of Jerry Ave., Punta Gorda. Charge: less than $200 worth of property damage. Bond: none.
• Michael Donald Ecker, 57, 800 block of Brenda Court, Punta Gorda. Charge: battery. Bond: none.
• Cynthia May Madden, 43, 23200 block of Kim Ave., Port Charlotte. Charges: possession of cocaine, possession of a controlled substance without a prescription, smuggling contraband into detention facility, possession of drug paraphernalia, violation of probation (original charge: possession of controlled substance without prescription, possession of drug paraphernalia.) Bond: none.
• Bibi Zora Bachus, 61, 1100 block of Oxsalida Street, Port Charlotte. Charge: retail theft of $300 or more. Bond: $2,500.
• Joseph Edgar Powell, 51, 1100 block of Shadow Lane, North Port. Charge: DUI. Bond: $1,000.
• Joseph Eimal O’Rourke, 37, 9000 block of Benson Hurst Lane, Englewood. Charges: sell methamphetamine and possession of controlled substance without prescription. Bond: $7,500.
— Compiled by
Elaine Allan-Emrich and Garry Overbey