Report: Man caught stealing boat engine
ENGLEWOOD EAST — Authorities arrested a man Thursday night after he was caught in the act of stealing an outboard motor from a boat, according to a Charlotte County Sheriff’s report.
Ifrain Mondeja, 40, was charged with resisting arrest with violence, obstructing police, possession of burglary tools, grand theft, burglary of an unoccupied structure and burglary of an unoccupied conveyance.
According to the report, authorities received a call around 8:30 p.m. from a witness who reported seeing two men wearing black near the rear fence of Econo Termite and Pest Control, on the 3700 block of North Access Road. One of the men fled when a deputy approached, while Mondeja was hit with a stun gun. A struggle ensued between Mondeja and the deputy, with Mondeja wrestling the stun gun away and using it on the deputy, who was not harmed. Backup deputies arrived and helped to take Mondeja into custody, the report states.
The motor, valued at $8,000, was found on a hand cart nearby, and bolt cutters and a bag of tools also were located, according to the report. Mondeja did not have identification on him and did not speak English, but was found to have an extensive criminal history. He also had multiple dates of birth, Social Security numbers and different spellings of his name, the report states.
Mondeja was arrested and transported to the Charlotte County Jail, where he remains without bond. He also has a custodial hold for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement. The second subject was not located, the report states.
The Charlotte County Sheriff’s Office reported the following arrests:
• Carley Elizabeth Ney, 21, of Venice, Fla. Charge: knowingly driving with a suspended license. Bond: $500.
• Howard James Parson, 52, 5000 block of Riverside Drive, Punta Gorda. Charge: out-of-county warrant. Bond: none.
• James B. McPherson Jr., 71, 27200 block of Townsend Terrace, Punta Gorda. Charge: Monroe County, Fla., warrant. Bond: $15,000.
• David Alan Davis, 31, 1300 block of Nimrod St., Port Charlotte. Charge: violation of probation (original charges: two counts of possession of a controlled substance, and possession of drug paraphernalia). Bond: none.
• William Scott Adams Jr., 24, 2100 block of Mississippi Ave., Englewood. Charges: possession of heroin with the intent to sell, possession of a controlled substance without a prescription and possession of narcotic equipment. Bond: none.
• Faviola Rodriguez Ramirez, 38, 100 block of Via Madonna, Englewood. Charge: driving with a suspended license. Bond: $500.
• Kayla Mae Henderson 18, 2800 block of 12th St., Englewood. Charge: violation of imposed conditions. She was released to home detention.
• Marvin Douglas Brown, 25, of Clearwater, Fla. Charges: two counts of violation of probation (original charges: driving with a suspended license, operating a motor vehicle without a valid license and two counts of failure to appear). Bond: none.
The Punta Gorda Police Department reported the following arrest:
• Mark Stephen Bonhage Jr., 23, of Royersford, Pa. Charges: disorderly intoxication and resisting arrest. Bond: $1,500.
— Compiled by Drew Winchester