these aren’t my pants!’
GROVE CITY — A local man blamed a wardrobe malfunction for his suspected drug possession on Monday, according to a Charlotte County Sheriff’s report, after authorities found oxycodone pills in his pocket.
James Edwin White, 30, of the 2000 block of Waterside Drive, was charged with possession of oxycodone and possession of drug paraphernalia in connection with the incident.
According to the report, White was riding a bicycle near Ninth Street and Kentucky Avenue in Grove City Monday afternoon when he was stopped by deputies because they didn’t recognize him, and they were on alert due to reported burglaries in the area.
White consented to be searched, and deputies found nine oxycodone pills in his pockets. After they discovered the pills, he reportedly exclaimed: “Oh, wait, these aren’t my pants!” White claimed they instead belonged to his uncle, and that he didn’t know his uncle kept pills in his pants, the report shows.
White was arrested and transported to the Charlotte County Jail, where he was released on $3,500 bond. According to the report, he continuously told authorities the pants belonged to his uncle and he had just thrown them on.
Report: Woman stole jewelry
PORT CHARLOTTE — Authorities arrested a North Port woman on Monday after she allegedly stole jewelry from her employer and sold it for money, according to a Charlotte County Sheriff’s report.
Alexandria Lia McArthur, 20, of the 8200 block of San Jacinto Ave., was charged with eight counts each of dealing in stolen property and of false verification of ownership, and one count of grand theft.
According to the report, McArthur stole jewelry from her employer, the Piercing Pagoda, located inside the Port Charlotte Town Center mall, and sold the stolen items to a gold-buying store, also located in the mall, and a North Port pawn shop.
McArthur reportedly admitted to taking the jewelry in order to sell it, and was arrested a short time later. She remains in the Charlotte County Jail on $67,500 bond.
Report: Stolen trailer leads to
PUNTA GORDA — Authorities arrested three men in connection with a trailer that allegedly was stolen in September and sold on Craigslist, according to a Charlotte County Sheriff’s report.
Christopher Bret Worley, 28, William Ray Horner, 55, and James Dalton Whidden, 19, all of the 28100 block of Pasadena Drive, Punta Gorda, were arrested in connection with the crime. Worley and Whidden were charged with dealing in stolen property, while Whidden additionally was charged with possession of drug paraphernalia. Horner also was charged with possession of methamphetamine and possession of drug paraphernalia.
According to the report, the trailer was stolen from a storage shed located on the 30300 block of Oil Well Road on Sept. 3. The trailer’s owner eventually saw the trailer, valued at $6,895, for sale on Craigslist and contacted authorities.
Detectives contacted the sellers, who turned out to be Worley and Whidden, and offered to buy the trailer, the report shows. They agreed to meet at the home on Pasadena Drive and eventually paid $425 for the trailer before making the arrest. When Horner agreed to a search of the home, detectives reportedly found methamphetamine and a glass pipe containing meth residue.
All three were arrested and taken to the Charlotte County Jail. Worley was released after posting $5,000 bond; Horner was released on $3,500 bond; and Whidden remains in jail on $15,000 bond.
The Charlotte County Sheriff’s Office reported the following arrests:
• Walter Otto Petersen, 65, 100 block of Sportsman Road, Rotonda West. Charge: hit and run. Bond: $500.
• Christy Ann Sayer, 42, 6700 block of Bernadean Blvd., Punta Gorda. Charges: two counts of violation of probation (original charges: possession of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia). Bond: none.
• Kyle Houston Freeland, 25, 400 block of W. McKenzie St., Punta Gorda. Charge: violation of probation (original charge: possession of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia). Bond: none.
• Pheneathius Sharbrail Brown, 19, 800 block of Hazel Ave., Punta Gorda. Charge: violation of probation (original charges: armed burglary and accessory after the fact). Bond: none.
• Alan Eugene Sawyer, 17, 2100 block of Bayberry Ave., Punta Gorda. Charge: battery. He was released to a state Department of Juvenile Justice facility.
• Russell Lee Singer, 47, 4500 block of Church St., Charlotte Harbor. Charge: violation of probation (original charges: failure to appear and driving with a suspended license-second offense). Bond: none.
• David Louis Green, 34, 400 block of Notson Terrace, Port Charlotte. Charge: withholding child support. Purge: $480.
• Charles Mitchell Lehnart, 27, 1000 block of Birchcrest Ave., Port Charlotte. Charges: four Sarasota County warrants. Bond: none.
• Tyler Bauer Thomson III, 29, 2100 block of Illinois Ave., Englewood. Charge: driving with a suspended license. Bond: $1,000.
• Felipe Antonio Morgan Paiva, 57, 5400 block of Glove Terrace, North Port. Charge: driving with a suspended license for more than six months. Bond: $500.
The Punta Gorda Police Department reported the following arrest:
• Kevin Patrick Reagan, 42, 1200 block of W. Marion Ave., Punta Gorda. Charge: DUI-third or subsequent offense. Bond: $2,500.
— Compiled by Drew Winchester