Report: Man on crack threatens to kill son
PORT CHARLOTTE — Authorities arrested a local man Wednesday night after he allegedly kidnapped his own young son and threatened to kill the child and himself after smoking crack, according to a Charlotte County Sheriff’s report.
Steve Conrad Poplin, 31, of the 1200 block of Hillcrest Avenue, was charged with battery by strangulation, kidnapping, fleeing and cruelty toward a child, in connection with the incident.
According to the report, Poplin and his wife got into an argument after she asked him to stop smoking crack in the house, and Poplin then choked her. Threatening to kill himself and his entire family if his wife left him, Poplin then grabbed his 5-year-old son and a handgun, and left the house, the report states.
Poplin reportedly placed several phone calls back to his wife, continuing to threaten her and his son, who was with him. Poplin’s wife contacted the CCSO, and deputies worked with her on the call to try to get Poplin to agree to meet his wife somewhere. They decided on Walmart, but once he saw law enforcement on the scene he fled, while deputies followed him, the report shows.
Poplin eventually drove back to his home on Hillcrest Avenue, where he was arrested.
He remains at the Charlotte County Jail on $10,000 bond.
Teen hit with new molestation charges
PUNTA GORDA — A 14-year-old boy has been arrested on additional molestation charges after authorities say he molested two boys, ages 9 and 5, according to a Charlotte County Sheriff’s report.
The boy was arrested previously Sept. 29 on one count of lewd or lascivious molestation for allegedly molesting a 6-year-old boy in a Gulf Cove church restroom. He was transported to a Department of Juvenile Justice facility in Fort Myers, and was released Thursday morning. He was brought before a juvenile justice judge Thursday afternoon at the Charlotte County Justice Center and charged with two additional counts of lewd or lascivious molestation, according to the report. He was transported back to the DJJ facility, where he will be held for an additional 21 days.
The report states the 9-year-old was molested three times at the boy’s home, and the 5-year-old was molested five or more times during August and September.
Report: Five arrested in
PORT CHARLOTTE — A lengthy drug investigation led to the arrest of five local people Wednesday night at an alleged drug home, according to a Charlotte County Sheriff’s report.
Arrested were Eduardo Carril, 52, Dyan Carril, 16, and Beatriz C. Lopez, 52, all of a home on the 2100 block of Beacon Drive — where the raid took place; along with Jeana Lynette Boisvert, 38, and Anthony Jean Willis, 16, both of the 1600 block of Beacon Drive.
According to the report, undercover narcotics detectives bought cocaine and hydromorphone pills from Willis and Boisvert on several occasions between
Sept. 11 and 17. When authorities raided the home on Wednesday, they turned up plastic baggies containing cocaine and more than $1,000 in cash in various places in the home, the report states.
Dyan, Eduardo and Lopez were charged with possession of cocaine, possession of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia. Dyan additionally was charged with violation of probation on separate charges. Boisvert was charged with sale and delivery of hydromorphone within 1,000 feet of a school, and possession of drug paraphernalia. Willis was charged with sale and delivery of cocaine with a 1,000 feet of a school, possession of hydromorphone within 1,000 feet of a school, possession of hydromorphone, two counts of sale and delivery of cocaine, and three counts each of possession of cocaine and possession of drug paraphernalia.
All five were arrested and transported to the Charlotte County Jail. Willis was transported to the Department of Juvenile Justice facility in Fort Myers for 21 days; Eduardo and Lopez both were released on $4,500 bond; Dyan Carril was released to the custody of his parents for five days of home detention; and Boisvert still is being held on $27,500 bond.
The Charlotte County Sheriff’s Office reported the following arrests:
• Mathew Henry Roberts, 45, 15300 block of Orchid Drive, Punta Gorda. Charge: aggravated battery with a deadly weapon. Bond: none.
• Melissa Lee Verry, 35, 4800 block of Duncan Road, Punta Gorda. Charges: two counts of violation of probation (original charges: two counts of grand theft). Bond: $3,000.
• Marlene Kay Hogeland, 66, homeless in Punta Gorda. Charge: trespassing. Bond: $5,000.
• Christine Lea Webster, 33, 5200 block of White Ave., Port Charlotte. Charge: violation of probation (original charges: grand theft, trafficking in property known to be stolen and false verification of ownership of pawned items). Bond: none.
• Curtis William Wright, 26, 800 block of Riviera Lane, Port Charlotte. Charges: two counts of violation of probation (original charges: threatening a public servant, resisting arrest, disorderly intoxication and trespassing). Bond: none.
• Joseph Lee Austin, 39, 1600 block of Beacon Drive, Port Charlotte. Charges: possession of marijuana and possession of narcotic equipment. Bond: $2,000.
• Benjamin Paul Hochmuth, 24, 6300 block of Granger Road, Port Charlotte. Charges: two counts of possession of a controlled substance, operating a motor vehicle without a valid license, possession of narcotic equipment and battery. Bond: none.
• Dolores Irene Rose Nicoletti, 21, 6300 block of Granger Road, Port Charlotte. Charge: possession of a controlled substance. Bond: none.
• Sholonda Yvette Robinson, 33, 5900 block of Nyberg Road, North Port. Charge: violation of probation (original charges: two counts of aggravated battery using a deadly weapon). Bond: none.
• Joshua Eugene Dove, 21, 8200 block of Cypress St., Englewood. Charges: possession of a controlled substance and possession of narcotic equipment. Bond: $3,500.
• Jesse Clayton Schorsch, 25, 20200 block of Hillsborough Blvd., Port Charlotte. Charges: cruelty toward a child without great harm, resisting arrest and disorderly intoxication. Bond: none.
• Blake James Elford, 28, homeless in Port Charlotte. Charge: trespassing. Bond: $2,500.
• Lawrence Charles Dipietro Jr., 46, 2200 block of Aaron St., Port Charlotte. Charge: driving with a suspended license. Bond: $500.
The Punta Gorda Police Department reported the following arrests :
• Nicholas Raymond Aye, 28, 400 block of San Carlos Drive, Punta Gorda. Charge: petty theft. Bond: $500.
• Daniel James Bass, 29, 3200 block of Depew Ave., Port Charlotte. Charge: grand theft. Bond: $2,500.
• Randal William Craig White, 19, 700 block of Sidney Terrace, Port Charlotte. Charges: possession of marijuana and possession of narcotic equipment. Bond: none.
• Sonny Belarmino Martinez, 46, of Cape Coral. Charge: Lee County, Fla., warrant. Bond: none.
• Donald Robinson Reid, 42, 5600 block of N.W. Pine Bridge Drive, Arcadia. Charge: DeSoto County warrant. Bond: none.
— Compiled b y Drew Winchester