FHP to conduct
SARASOTA COUNTY — The Florida Highway Patrol will conduct a DUI checkpoint in Sarasota County during the month of November. FHP sets up such details to proactively remove impaired drivers from the roadways and ultimately enhance the safety of the motoring public. Troopers conducting the checkpoint will monitor those who pass through to ensure they are properly licensed and driving sober.
The date and time of the checkpoint will be announced at a later time.
Florida law considers a driver with .08 or higher blood alcohol content to be impaired. Drivers under the age of 21 with a BAC of .02 or higher are also in violation of Florida law.
The Patrol would like to remind everyone that *FHP (*347) dialed from any cell phone contacts FHP should you need to report an aggressive driver or require roadside assistance.
The Charlotte County Sheriff’s Office reported the following arrests:
• Joshua William Matzen, 37, 500 block of Sunset Blvd. East, Punta Gorda. Charges: aggravated battery with a deadly weapon and violation of probation. Bond: none.
• Lukas Eugene Denman, 28, 1500 block of Magnus Terrace, Punta Gorda. Charge: simple assault on firefighter or EMT. Bond: $500.
• Carl Travis Martin Jr., 53, 21000 block of Jerome Ave., Port Charlotte. Charges: driving with permanently revoked license and failure to have liability insurance. Bond: $3,500.
• Jennifer Lee Hauer, 28, 6400 block of Drucker Circle, Port Charlotte. Charges: failure to appear in court, two counts of withholding support of child or spouse, trespassing, and petty theft (second offense). Bond: $25,540.
• Sidney Alexander Abramson, 59, 2600 block of Myakka Marsh Lane, Port Charlotte. Charges: aggravated assault with a deadly weapon without intent to kill, aggravated battery with a deadly weapon, and aggravated battery on person of 65 years or older. Bond: $10,000.
• Tony Curtis Goforth, 50, 3500 block of Beacon Dr., Port Charlotte. Charge: operating vehicle without valid license. Bond: $500.
• Dustin Amos Pearson, 29, of Fort Myers. Charges: petty theft (second offense) and failure to appear in court. Bond: $6,000.
• Kayleigh Michelle Tuthill, 21, 22200 block of Augusta Ave., Port Charlotte. Charges: tampering with evidence and possession of less than 20 grams of marijuana. Bond: $3,500.
• Franklin Lee Miley Jr., 23, 22000 block of Perkin Terrace, Port Charlotte. Charge: violation of probation, (original charge: possession of concealed weapon by convicted felon). Bond: $1,970.
• Derro Conroy James, 38, 3400 block of Idlewild St., Port Charlotte. Charge: possession of less than 20 grams of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia. Bond: $2,000
• Michael Louis Magnane, 36, of 3400 block of Cohoes St., Port Charlotte. Charge: violation of probation (original charge: careless driving, obscured tag). Bond: $1,050.
• Joe Carl Anderson, 20, homeless. Charges: battery by strangulation and criminal mischief. Bond: $6,000.
—Compiled by Merab-Michal Favorite