Report: Burglary suspect waits to be arrested
PORT CHARLOTTE — Authorities arrested a local man Monday night after he was discovered quietly sitting on the lanai of a home he was suspected of burglarizing, according to a Charlotte County Sheriff’s report.
Christopher Edward Boegli, 24, of the 500 block of Reading Street, was charged with burglary of an occupied dwelling and grand theft.
According to the report, authorities received a call Monday afternoon from a homeowner on the 3000 block of Pinetree Street, Port Charlotte, saying a man knocked on his front door then went around to the back of the home and entered the lanai.
The man allegedly loaded five extension cords and a CD, items valued at $125, into a bucket, and then sat in a chair on the lanai. The homeowner said when he heard approaching sirens, the man on the lanai did not move, the report states.
Boegli was found sitting in the chair by responding deputies, who placed him under arrest and transported him to the Charlotte County Jail, where he remains on $45,000 bond.
Report: Man beats another with baseball bat
PUNTA GORDA — Authorities arrested a man Saturday night after they say he severely beat another man with a baseball bat, according to a Charlotte County Sheriff’s report.
Joshua William Matzen, 37, of the 500 block of Sunset Boulevard, Punta Gorda, was charged with aggravated battery with a deadly weapon in connection with the incident. He also was charged with violating his probation on an unrelated charge.
According to the report, authorities were called to the Charlotte Ranchettes subdivision Saturday night regarding a 22-year-old man being beaten with a baseball bat and lying facedown in the road. The victim had three skull fractures and received 30 stitches and staples in his head, the report states, eventually being transported to Lee Memorial Hospital in Fort Myers due to bleeding and brain swelling.
Authorities caught up to Matzen near Bermont Road the same night, but Matzen said he was not responsible for the beating. Matzen was arrested and transported to the Charlotte County Jail, where he remains without bond.
The Charlotte County Sheriff’s Office reported the following arrests:
• Robert Christopher Alexander, 21, Caddy Road, Rotonda West. Charge: failure to maintain vehicle insurance. Bond: $500.
• Kevin Lee Manning, 34, 12100 block of Weimer Ave., Port Charlotte. Charge: violation of a county ordinance. Bond: $500.
• Kristin Gay Ehrenfeld, 28, 15300 block of Demas Ave., Port Charlotte. Charge: violation of probation. Bond: $5,000.
• Kendrick Lequan McCray, 19, 21900 block of Beverly Ave., Port Charlotte. Charges: taken off bond and recommitted on two counts. Bond: $35,000.
• James Arthur Henry, 58, 1500 block of Abscott St., Port Charlotte. Charge: battery. Bond: $5,000.
• Terry Lanaris Smith, 17, 19800 block of Midway Blvd., Port Charlotte. Charges: possession of marijuana and possession of narcotic equipment. Bond: $2,000.
• Diego Us-Lux, 28, of Fort Myers. Charge: operating a motor vehicle without a valid license. Bond: $500.
• Daniel Joseph Perrone, 18, 3800 block of Shady Brook Lane, Sarasota. Charges: possession of marijuana and possession of narcotic equipment. Bond: $2,000.
• Walter Burnett Johnson III, 37, 1500 block of Rommel St., Port Charlotte. Charges: possession of marijuana and failure to maintain vehicle insurance. Bond: $3,000.
The Punta Gorda Police Department reported the following arrest:
• Dontavious Clevon Powell, 18, 16100 block of Alcira Circle, Punta Gorda. Charge: violation of probation (original charges: burglary and petty theft). Bond: none.
— Compiled by Drew Winchester