Report: Woman strikes man with
PUNTA GORDA — An argument between a couple Thursday night over a 12-pack of beer ended with a woman hitting her boyfriend over the head with a fire log, according to a Charlotte County Sheriff’s report.
Cheryl Marie Davis, 34, of the 8000 block of Austrian Boulevard, Punta Gorda, was charged with aggravated battery with a deadly weapon in connection with the incident.
According to the report, Davis and the victim were sitting around a cast-iron fire pit when Davis accused the man of hiding the remainder of a 12-pack of beer, which was almost empty. As the argument between the two escalated, the victim became upset and kicked the fire pit, spilling its contents. Some of coals and other burning material fell near Davis’ 6-year-old son.
The boy was not burned or injured by the coals, the report states, but it enraged Davis further and she removed her son from the scene, placing him inside a camper, the report states. When she returned to where they had been sitting by the fire, Davis picked up one of the logs that been in the fire pit and hit the victim in the head with it, according to the report.
After authorities arrived, the victim could not recall if the log had indeed been on fire when it struck him in the face. The victim declined medical attention, while Davis reportedly denied ever striking him with a log.
Davis was placed under arrest and transported to the Charlotte County Jail, where she remains on $5,000 bond. The child was placed in the custody of his grandmother until Davis’ release.
Report: Drunken man crashes car at Applebee’s
DEEP CREEK — A Fort Myers man was charged with his fourth DUI on Thursday after he drunkenly drove his 2011 Kia over a curb outside Applebee’s on Sandhill Boulevard, according to a Charlotte County Sheriff’s report.
Gerard Arthur Kelly, 64, was charged with DUI, driving with a revoked license — second offense, and possession of a controlled substance, in connection with the incident.
According to the report, Kelly entered the restaurant around 9 p.m. and already was impaired when he sat down at the bar. Kelly ate dinner, had two shots and a beer, and then started buying rounds for the entire bar, the report states. Kelly was very impaired and flaunting $100 bills, the report adds.
Kelly paid his bill in cash and left a $98 tip, according to the report, but Applebee’s staff refused to accept the tip because it was too large. Kelly then left the restaurant, got into his vehicle and drove to the opposite end of the parking lot, where he hopped a curb. The car’s back wheels were off of the ground, the report states, when it came to a rest at the bottom of the embankment.
When authorities responded and attempted to get Kelly out of the vehicle, he fell out and struck his head on the pavement. The report states that a search of his car turned up more than 100 diazepam prescription pills inside. They were not in a prescription bottle.
Kelly was transported to Fawcett Memorial Hospital in Port Charlotte for treatment. After his release from the hospital, he was transported to the Charlotte County Jail, where he had blood-alcohol level of 0.104 when he took a breath test. Kelly was released from jail Friday on $9,500 bond.
The Charlotte County Sheriff’s Office reported the following arrests:
• Michael Ray Berry, 39, 2800 block of Safe Harbor Circle, Sarasota. Charge: violation of probation. Bond: none.
• Douglas Albert Farlow, 36, 2500 block of Luther Road, Deep Creek. Charge: knowingly driving with a suspended license. Bond: $500.
• Jarame Pran Kibbe, 20, homeless in Port Charlotte. Charge: violation of a county ordinance. Bond: $250.
• Tracy Ellen Kruse, 31, homeless in Port Charlotte. Charge: withholding child support. Purge: $400.
• Tammy Lynn Rocco, 41, 600 block of Spring Lake Blvd., Port Charlotte. Charge: battery. Bond: none.
• Norbert Henry Simon, 44, 12200 block of Maltz Ave., Port Charlotte. Charges: three Sarasota County warrants. Bond: none.
• Sebastien Vallieres, 37, of Montreal, Quebec, Canada. Charge: petty theft. Bond: $1,000.
• Isabeau Chalout, 36, of Montreal, Quebec, Canada. Charge: petty theft. Bond: $1,000.
• Lawrence Edward Smith, 37, of Haines City, Fla. Charges: failure to appear and DUI. Bond: $5,000.
• Ronald Roland Lefevre Jr., 46, 6700 block of San Casa Drive, Englewood. Charge: DUI — fourth or subsequent offense. Bond: $2,500.
• Jeffery Logan Cupp, 31, 300 block of S. Oxford Ave., Englewood. Charge: violation of probation (original charge: violation of an open-container ordinance). Bond: $850.
• Matthew Scott Depedro, 38, 1400 block of Flamingo Drive, Englewood. Charge: battery on a person 65 years of old or older. Bond: none.
— Compiled by Drew Winchester