with armed robbery
PORT CHARLOTTE — Two teenagers were held at gunpoint by three suspects they knew from school on Nov. 13 in Port Charlotte, according to authorities. One of the boys was reportedly struck in the head with the gun.
Charlotte County Sheriff’s Major Crimes Unit detectives arrested two adults and one juvenile in the armed robbery: Christopher Vontrell Bing, 19, 21500 block of Kenyon Ave.; Brad Marlon Percival, 18, 22000 block of Hernando Blvd.; and Alex Francisco Ocampos, 17, 22000 block of Beverly Ave., all of Port Charlotte.
Two boys ages 16 and 17 told Charlotte County Sheriff’s Office detectives that Percival and Ocampos displayed firearms around 8 a.m. on Catherine Avenue and told them to “empty their pockets.” The victims told the robbers they did not have anything of value except their cellphones, according to a report by the CCSO. The boys said Ocampos struck one of them in the back of the head with his gun.
After finding that the victims had no money, the three left the scene, according to the report. The victims did not report the incident to CCSO until 5 p.m. The teens said they knew the robbers from the Academy, an alternative educational program in Port Charlotte. They said they feared for their safety after being threatened on the school campus, according to the report.
Bing, Percival and Ocampos were arrested three days later and transported to the Charlotte County Jail. Percival remains in jail on $50,000 bond on charges of robbery with a firearm and aggravated battery with a deadly weapon. Bing also remains in jail on $20,000 bond. He was charged with robbery. Ocampos was booked on charges of robbery with a firearm, and aggravated battery with a deadly weapon. He was then sent to the Department of Juvenile Justice center in Fort Myers for 21 days.
The Charlotte County Sheriff’s Office reported the following arrests:
• Michael Christopher Sheeley, 35, 26200 Seminole Lake Blvd., Punta Gorda. Charges: credit card fraud and petty theft over $100 but less than $300. Bond: $1,000.
• Fredrika Reed, 23, 1200 block of Slash Pine Circle, Punta Gorda. Charge: resisting an officer without violence. Bond: $1,000.
• Kevin Paul Boroczky, 19, address withheld. Charges: trespassing, carrying concealed weapon, and five counts of recommit for off bond. Bond: $22,000.
• James Barnes Lewis III, 63, address withheld. Charge: battery. Bond: none.
• Michael Che Edwards, 40, 11200 block of SW Crenshaw Ave., Arcadia. Charge: violation of probation. Bond: none.
• William Hardy Whidden, 48, 100 block of South Hernando Ave., Arcadia. Charge: driving with suspended license, third offense. Bond: $2,500.
• David Andrew Young, 42, 3400 block of Dwight St., Port Charlotte. Charge: out-of-county warrant. Bond: $1,000.
• Tara Marie Schrauf, 3400 block of Dwight St., Port Charlotte. Charge: out-of-county warrant. Bond: $1,000.
• Teara Ann Sander, 22, 26000 block of Ocelot Lane, Punta Gorda. Charges: possession of a controlled substance without a prescription, and possession of drug paraphernalia. Bond: $3,000.
— Compiled by