Couple charged with stealing Walmart gift card
PUNTA GORDA — Authorities arrested a Tropical Gulf Acres couple on Thursday for stealing and using a Walmart gift card, according to a Charlotte County Sheriff’s report.
Paul William Bowling, 29, and Stephanie Anne Benning, 28, both of the 27300 block of Treadmill Drive, were charged with grand theft and dealing in stolen property, in connection with the incident.
According to the report, the victim left her wallet overnight at the Punta Gorda Elks Lodge, located on the 25500 block of Shore Drive, where she works. When she returned the next day, the wallet was gone and with it went a Walmart gift card that had been given to the victim by her father, the report states. The victim was able to track the card’s use via a website that detailed where purchases were made last.
Detectives tracked the card to the Walmart in North Fort Myers, where they reportedly used surveillance footage to tie Bowling and Benning to the card. They made $356 in purchases, the report states.
Detectives then took the images from the surveillance footage back to the Elks Lodge, where Benning was identified as a member of the night cleaning crew, the report states. The detectives then found the couple at their home and arrested them.
They were transported to the Charlotte County Jail, where both were released Friday on $7,500 bond.
Traffic enforcement locations announced
CHARLOTTE COUNTY — Beginning Monday, the Charlotte County Sheriff’s Office will increase traffic enforcement at the following locations:
• Entire length of Quesada Avenue, Port Charlotte.
• Entire length of Harbor Boulevard, Port Charlotte.
Traffic light/stop sign enforcement:
• U.S. 41 and State Road 776, Port Charlotte.
• U.S. 41 and Harborview Road, Charlotte Harbor.
The Charlotte County Sheriff’s Office reported the following arrests:
• Kenneth Wayne McCown, 27, of Tampa, Fla. Charge: violation of probation. He was released on his own recognizance.
• Jacob John Dorsten, 27, 30200 block of Alder Drive, Punta Gorda. Charges: failure to appear and petty theft. Bond: $5,000.
• Rebecca Pauline Bailey, 30, 21300 block of Percy Ave., Port Charlotte. Charges: two counts of violation of probation (original charges: grand theft and dealing in stolen property). Bond: none.
• Tammy Carlene Russell, 38, 2200 block of Abscott St., Port Charlotte. Charge: violation of probation (original charges: two counts each of petty theft and uttering a forged instrument). Bond: none.
• Richard Cyrus Schechter, 61, homeless in Port Charlotte. Charge: violation of a county ordinance. Bond: $500.
• Nicholas Joseph Faieta, 22, 20000 block of Tappan Zee Drive, Port Charlotte. Charges: two counts of violation of probation (original charges: two counts each of burglary and grand theft). Bond: none.
• Mya Angelic Davis, 30, 21400 block of Mallory Ave., Port Charlotte. Charge: violation of probation (original charges: prostitution and two counts of possession of a controlled substance). Bond: none.
• Alysha Dawn Rice, 32, 5500 block of Vera Cruz Terrace, Port Charlotte. Charge: Hillsborough County, Fla., warrant. Bond: $1,000.
• John Joseph Lindsay Jr., 53, homeless in Port Charlotte. Charge: violation of a county ordinance. Bond: $500.
• Grey Sterling Miller, 23, 23000 block of Harper Ave., Port Charlotte. Charge: battery. Bond: none.
The Punta Gorda Police Department reported the following arrest:
• Jerome Dwight Dean, 44, homeless. Charge: battery. Bond: none.
— Compiled by Drew Winchester