CCSO K-9 unit
helps to nab alleged car thieves
PUNTA GORDA — Authorities say an alert K-9 deputy helped to foil the theft of four vehicles from a car lot by a Fort Myers man and teen early Friday morning.
Johnny Lamont Tillman, 23, and a 14-year-old boy were arrested in connection with the incident. Tillman was charged with burglary and three counts of grand theft auto, while the boy was charged with three counts of grand theft auto and two counts of burglary.
According to a Charlotte County Sheriff’s report, the deputy discovered a vehicle with the alarm activated around 1:30 a.m. Friday at the Punta Gorda Buy Here Pay Here lot on the 100 block of Carmalita Street.
The deputy found two vehicles with broken ignitions, the report states, and another vehicle with a damaged door lock. Authorities spotted a silver Dodge Intrepid approaching without its headlights on, but when they attempted to make a traffic stop, it fled the scene and was found abandoned a short time later near Cooper Street, the report states.
The K-9 began a track from the car that ended up in front of Charlotte Regional Medical Center, where Punta Gorda police had just stopped two suspicious people covered in burrs after coming out of a wooded area, the report states.
Tillman and the boy were arrested and transported to the Charlotte County Jail. Tillman was held without bond, while the boy was released into his mother’s custody.
The investigation is ongoing, after authorities discovered two vehicles were missing from the car lot.
Authorities nab man wanted for 2 years in coat theft
PUNTA GORDA — Authorities finally arrested a North Port man on an outstanding warrant who allegedly stole a leather coat from Macy’s two years ago, according to a Charlotte County Sheriff’s report.
Jason Frank Hoxie, 29, of the 4500 block of Hartsock Ave., was charged with grand theft in connection with the incident.
According to a report, Hoxie stole a leather coat and a garment bag valued at $660 from Macy’s at the Port Charlotte Town Center mall two years ago. He was spotted by security, the report states, and dropped his cellphone while fleeing the scene.
Detectives continually attempted to meet with Hoxie after finding the phone, but he evaded the meetings and family members told detectives he had left the area. Hoxie returned to the area recently and was arrested Thursday in Sarasota, the report states.
He was transported to the Charlotte County Jail after his arrest, where he was released on $2,500 bond.
The Charlotte County Sheriff’s Office reported the following arrests:
• Kim Marie Handy, 45, 900 block of Everest Road, Venice. Charge: violation of probation (original charges: selling or manufacturing a controlled substance and possession of a controlled substance). Bond: none.
• Kayla Ann Hemphill, 20, 11200 block of Tamiami Trail, Punta Gorda. Charge: violation of probation (original charges: grand theft, false verification of ownership and four counts of trafficking in stolen property). Bond: none.
• Peter Douglas Letizia, 60, homeless in Port Charlotte. Charge: trespassing. Bond: $1,000.
• Lezmore Anthony Emanuel, 49, 2600 block of Starlite Lane, Port Charlotte. Charge: withholding child support. Purge: $650.
• Nathaniel J. Frederick, 55, 400 block of Ricold Terrace, Port Charlotte. Charges: assault on emergency personnel, resisting arrest with violence, resisting arrest and violation of probation. Bond: none.
• Nikki Lynn Barnard, 28, 17400 block of Gulfspray Circle, Port Charlotte. Charges: habitually driving with a suspended license and failure to appear. Bond: $6,000.
• Matthew Joseph Douthett, 39, 4200 block of Lister St., Port Charlotte. Charge: out-of-county warrant. Bond: $7,500.
• Penisimani Mataele, 37, of Orlando. Charges: possession of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia. Bond: $2,000.
• Jessica Jo Grote, 26, 6500 block of Marius Road, North Port. Charge: violation of probation (original charge: petty theft). Bond: none.
• Julio Esquival Dominguez, 44, of Green Bay, Wis. Charge: out-of-state fugitive. Bond: none.
• Adam Jay Castro, 21, of Fort Myers. Charge: violation of probation (original charge: possession of drug paraphernalia). Bond: none.
• Samantha Jean Olschewski, 25, of Bradenton. Charge: violation of probation (original charges: grand theft and eight counts of uttering a forged instrument). Bond: none.
• Jared Reed Shackelford, 21, 5400 block of Papaya Drive, Punta Gorda. Charge: two counts of violation of probation. Bond: none.
• Jacob Corson Moore, 22, homeless in Port Charlotte. Charges: inhaling a dangerous chemical and trespassing. Bond: $1,500.
The Punta Gorda Police Department reported the following arrest:
• Shane Christopher Riner, 25, 11200 block of Tamiami Trial, Punta Gorda. Charge: violation of probation (original charges: grand theft, five counts of trafficking in stolen property and two counts of false verification of ownership). Bond: none.
— Compiled by Drew Winchester