Witness leads cops to grand theft suspects
PORT CHARLOTTE — A witness led a Charlotte County Sheriff’s deputy to a local couple suspected in a theft from a Dollar General store Friday, and the deputy subsequently wound up connecting those suspects to the Dec. 20 theft of a welder from a tractor-supply business, according to a CCSO report.
Arrested were: Christen Joy Dial, 31, and Jeffrey Scott Sabatinelli, 34, both of the 400 block of Strasburg Drive. Each was charged with grand theft in the theft of the welder. Sabatinelli’s bond was set at $2,500.
Dial additionally was charged with violation of probation, according to sheriff’s records. Dial had been sentenced to serve on probation until December 2014 on charges of trafficking in stolen property and providing false information to pawnbrokers from an October 2011 arrest in Lee County, state corrections records show. Dial was jailed without bond.
Charges in connection with the theft from the Dollar General store remain pending.
The couple were detained Friday after a witness reported seeing them stealing items from the Dollar General at 1700 Tamiami Trail, Port Charlotte, according to the sheriff’s report. The two suspects left in a Volkswagen Jetta with the stolen merchandise. The witness followed them and reportedly obtained their vehicle tag number.
The couple drove to the Port Charlotte Town Center mall, where they were detained by a deputy. The deputy noticed Sabatinelli was wearing the same T-shirt — with the words “Brooklyn Vintage” on it — and gray-and-white tennis shoes with black laces that were described in a recent be-on-the-lookout bulletin for one of the suspects in the theft of the welder, the report states.
Merchandise from the Dollar General store was recovered, and the couple were taken in for questioning. They reportedly admitted to stealing the welder from Tractor Supply.
The Sheriff’s Office had put out its BOLO after deputies had obtained a surveillance video from the tractor store. It showed a man and woman entering the store with a small child. The woman got a shopping cart and the man took bolt cutters off a store shelf. The woman acted as the lookout while the man cut a cable securing the welder, the report shows. The woman helped the man load the welder into the cart and they exited without paying, according to the report.
Traffic enforcement locations
CHARLOTTE COUNTY — Beginning Monday, the Charlotte County Sheriff’s Office will increase traffic enforcement at the following locations:
• Entire length of Burnt Store Road, from Punta Gorda to the Lee County line.
• Entire length of Midway Boulevard, Port Charlotte.
Traffic light/stop sign enforcement:
• Jones Loop Road and Interstate 75/Exit 161, Punta Gorda.
• U.S. 41 and Toledo Blade Boulevard, Port Charlotte.
The Charlotte County Sheriff’s Office reported the following arrests:
• Joseph Wayne Stowell, 39, 30100 block of Holly Road, Punta Gorda. Charges: grand theft and violation of probation. Bond: none.
• Andrea Lynn Jannuzzi-Noto, 48, 1500 block of Abscott St., Port Charlotte. Charge: battery on a person 65 years old or older. Bond: $10,000.
• Johnson Lesley Joseph, 31, 20200 block of Midway Blvd., Port Charlotte. Charges: failure to appear and failure to have vehicle insurance. Bond: $6,000.
• Robert Owen Menigoz, 52, 18400 block of Cordoba Ave., Port Charlotte. Charges: DUI and driving while license is suspended. Bond: $3,500.
• Jonathan Matthew Gonzalez, 20, 1100 block of Clearview Drive, Port Charlotte. Charge: violation of probation. Bond: $750.
• Scott Arthur Noble, 45, 14100 block of Chancellor Blvd., Port Charlotte. Charges: two out-of-county warrants. Bond: $15,000.
• Kristina Marie Katzenberger, 23, 2300 block of Beacon Drive, Port Charlotte. Charges: three out-of-county warrants. Bond: $600.
• Daniel Wayne Butler, 33, of Lehigh Acres. Charge: out-of-county warrant. Bond: none.
• Kelsey Lorraine Tyler, 18, of Cape Coral. Charges: possession of less than 20 grams of marijuana, possession of drug paraphernalia and possession of liquor by a person younger than 21. Bond: $3,000.
• Shalette Renee Daughtery, 47, of Apopka, Fla. Charge: petty theft. Bond: $500.
• Abel Noel Zavala, 30, of North Fort Myers. Charges: possession of a controlled substance without a prescription and possession of drug paraphernalia. Bond: $4,000.
• Erik Joseph Wold, 19, of Hudson, Fla. Charges: possession of a controlled substance without a prescription and possession of drug paraphernalia. Bond: $3,500.
• Paul James Sullivan, 60, 6500 block of Mechier St., Englewood. Charge: DUI. Bond: $750.
The Punta Gorda Police reported the following arrest:
• Stephanie Marie Sheldon, 29, 3000 block of Caring Way, Port Charlotte. Charges: DUI, and hit and run involving property damage. Bond: $3,500.
— Compiled by Greg Martin
and Marion Putman