One dead in Nokomis house fire
NOKOMIS — A person died in a house fire Tuesday night in Nokomis, according to the Sarasota County Sheriff’s Office. The house, at 105 N. Kenwood Ave., was engulfed in flames when units arrived around
6:45 p.m. Tuesday.
After the fire was extinguished, it was discovered a person had died in the house, according to the Sheriff’s Office, which assisted the Nokomis Volunteer Fire Department in the blaze. The cause of the fire has not yet been determined, and the deceased person has not been identified.
The state fire marshal, SCSO Criminal Investigations and the Sarasota Medical Examiner’s Office are investigating to determine the origin of the fire and the person’s identity. Anyone with information is encouraged to call Criminal Investigations at 941-861-4900, or to leave an anonymous tip with Crime Stoppers by calling 941-366-TIPS (8477), online at www.sarasota
crimestoppers.com, or via text message by texting TIP109 plus a message to CRIMES (274637).
deputy on leg
ROTONDA WEST — Authorities arrested a local man on New Year’s Eve who was exhibiting some strange behavior — such as when he bit a deputy on the leg, according to a Charlotte County Sheriff’s report.
Paul Eggers Greene, 18, of the 200 block of Rotonda Circle, was charged with battery on emergency personnel, assault on emergency personnel, resisting arrest with violence and disorderly conduct, in connection with the incident.
According to the report, authorities found Greene in the middle of Oakland Hills Road around 4 a.m. Monday, jumping up and down and screaming. He was wearing only shorts and white socks, despite the cool temperatures, which were in the 40s, the report states. Greene lay down in the road when approached by a authorities, but then suddenly jumped up and rushed the deputy, who was forced to use his Taser on Greene, a report stated.
The report states that when another deputy arrived on the scene they attempted to detain Greene, but a scuffle ensued and Greene bit the second deputy on the leg, breaking the skin. A Taser was used twice on Greene to get him under control, and when he was finally in handcuffs, he claimed to be Jesus and was afraid that people were coming to get him, the report states.
Greene was detained and transported to Peace River Regional Medical Center in Port Charlotte for treatment and observation, the report states. At the hospital he became violent and had to be handcuffed to the bed, the report states. After his release Monday, Greene was arrested and transported to the Charlotte County Jail, where he remains without bond.
yields 2 pounds
PUNTA GORDA — A traffic stop Wednesday resulted in the seizure of 958 grams — or just over 2 pounds — of marijuana, and more than $1,300 in cash, according to a Charlotte County Sheriff’s report.
Four Cape Coral residents were arrested in connection with the incident. They were: Gustavo Modesto Figueredo, 50, and his wife Yoenny Cruz, 40, both of the 1000 block of Northeast 16th Place; Eduardo Fernandez-Alfonso, 51, of the 1800 block of Santa Barbara Avenue; and Alexy Fernandez, 34, of the 200 block of Northeast 16th Place. All four were charged with possession of marijuana with the intent to distribute, possession of more than 20 grams of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia.
According to the report, a deputy with a CCSO street-crimes unit made a traffic stop after he spotted Alexy Fernandez, the driver of the vehicle, not wearing his seat belt. Authorities saw Fernandez and the other three occupants of the 1999 Toyota spraying cologne all over the inside of the vehicle, the report states.
Fernandez consented to a search of the car and authorities found four plastic bags of marijuana hidden in the trunk underneath the spare tire. They also found $1,359 in cash, the report states.
All four were arrested and transported to the Charlotte County Jail, where they remained $6,000 bond each.
The Charlotte County Sheriff’s Office reported the following arrests:
• Rebecca Ann Brooks, 53, of Woodville, Ohio. Charge: DUI. Bond: $500.
• William Robert Brooks, 59, of Woodville, Ohio. Charge: resisting arrest. Bond: $1,000.
• Howard James Odell, 70, Marker Road, Rotonda West. Charge: DUI hit and run. Bond: $2,500.
• Charlie Jesse Gasper, 47, 400 block of Gallegos St., Punta Gorda. Charge: driving with a suspended license. Bond: $500.
• Aaron Hampton Williams Sr., 73, 1300 block of Birchcrest Blvd., Port Charlotte. Charge: petty theft. Bond: $500.
• Thomas Patrick Walsh, 59, 1100 block of Green Oak Trail, Port Charlotte. Charges: battery, possession of marijuana and possession of narcotic equipment. Bond: none.
• Steven Carl Welgan, 42, 700 block of Crestview Circle, Port Charlotte. Charge: violation of probation (original charge: driving with a suspended license). Bond: $1,020.
• William Ronald Caudill, 61, 41200 block of Meehan St., Port Charlotte. Charge: petty theft. Bond: $500.
• Ryan Leigh Burlew, 30, 1600 block of Florence Ave., Englewood. Charges: possession of a controlled substance and possession of narcotic equipment. Bond: $3,500.
• Tad Dillon Johnson, 26, 2100 block of Oyster Creek Drive, Englewood. Charge: Sarasota County warrant. Bond: $1,000.
• Brie Anne Tulloch, 28, 2100 block of Shawnee St., Sarasota. Charges: two counts of violation of probation (original charges: possession of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia). Bond: none.
• Michael Leon McCord, 47, 11000 block of Palmerston Ave., Punta Gorda. Charge: DUI. Bond: $750.
The North Port Police Department reported the following arrests:
• Morgan Lindsey Hobart, 28, 5700 block of Talbrook Road, North Port. Charges: two counts of possession of a controlled substance without a prescription (Xanax and oxycodone). Bond: $2,000.
• Robert George Callahan, 18, 4400 block of Adelaide Ave., North Port. Charge: Charlotte County warrant for violation of probation (original charge: trespassing). Bond: $1,050.
• Teara Anne Sanders, 22, 3600 block of Dunwreath Road, Port Charlotte. Charges: theft and trespassing. Bond: $1,250.
• Shelby Mae Stephens, 20, of Columbia, Tenn. Charge: driving while license is suspended or revoked with knowledge. Bond: $120.
• Thomas Matthew Monahan, 27, Island Club Drive, North Port. Charges: two counts of possession of a controlled substance without a prescription, possession of marijuana and possession and/or use of narcotic equipment. Bond: $2,240.
The Sarasota County Sheriff’s Office reported the following arrests:
• James Alexander Black, 24, 300 block of Seminole Blvd., Port Charlotte. Charge: Charlotte County warrant for violation of probation (original charge: driving while license is suspended or revoked). Bond: $650.
• Alyssa Destiny Gottleib, 20, 400 block of Dewhurst St., Port Charlotte. Charge: violation of probation (original charges: three counts of animal neglect or abandonment). Bond: $7,500.
• David Edward Bragg, 39, 700 block of Nectar Road, Venice. Charges: fleeing to elude and reckless driving. Bond: $2,120.
• Daniel Jay Kaufman, 26, 200 block of S. Auburn Road, Venice. Charge: possession of marijuana. Bond: $120.
• Matthew David Didonato, 25, 9000 block of Anita Ave., Englewood. Charge: loitering or prowling. Bond: $120.
• Matthew M. Lackey, 38, 1100 block of Shoreview Drive, Englewood. Charge: disorderly intoxication. Bond: $120.
• Kira L. Hill, 25, 1000 block of Squaw Valley Court, Venice. Charge: battery. Bond: none.
— Compiled by Drew Winchester, Anne Klockenkemper and Lorraine Schneeberger